Now more then ever we are fighting over the story that will shape our understanding of the current crisis and what comes next. In Controlling the Narrative we will learn the mechanics of building email templates, composing beautiful and responsive messages, segmenting your lists, sending mass SMS messages, measuring and understanding our click through rates, as well as strategies around messaging and integrating these efforts across your campaign.
Prerequisite: Comfortable creating and using groups.
Training materials, including login information on the training database will be sent to everyone who is registered.
Day 1: Creating and organizing your lists, understanding opt outs
12:00 pm Eastern Time
- Ground rules and introductions (tech and rev) - A
- Orientation - N
- Logging in and getting around - J
- Hand out usernames and passwords
- The training site does not send out actual email messages
- Preparing for Mailings: Groups, Unsubscribe and opting out - J
- Mailings always start with group you want to send to. If your contacts are not in a group, put them in a group first (smart or static). Demonstrate: All contacts who have attended an event in the last year. Should we make this group a mailing list? Yes (for now...)
- Question: When sending an email, you can insert either an "opt out" link or an "unsubscribe" link. What's the difference?
- Demonstrate removing contact from group (show contacts, select one, choose Remove from Group option).
- Let's reconsider the "Mailing list" option for our group: Organizing groups vs Mailing groups: don't mix them! Create extra groups for mailings.
- Need to brush up on groups? Here are screen casts on working with regular/static groups and smart groups
- Question: How would you organize a workflow and your groups to regularly send email to those donors who give more than >$500? - A
- Anatomy of an effective mass email message - Watch screen cast on the anatomy of an effective mass email message - J
- Working with Mosaico templates - Watch screen cast on creating Mosaico mailing templates - A
- Introduce next assignment: A
- Create a Mosaico template for your organization or project in the training database, make sure to include your first name in the name of the template - we will review templates you've created tomorrow
Day 2: Reporting and ensuring your email gets into Inboxes
12:00 pm Eastern Time
- Review previous assignment, show and tell templates made, answer questions - N
- Demonstrate steps to create a new mailing with Mosaico and schedule it; also see screen cast here and see the tip sheet here - N
- Reporting and analyzing - A
- Show PDF of sample mailing report, explain limitations of open rates and click through rates
- Show PDF bounce report, understanding what bounce types there are and what they mean
- Show PDF of Finding email addresses that have "bounced off"
- Tips on managing email lists: bounces, holds, unsubscribes
- Working with traditional email templates & email - Watch screen cast on traditional email templates & email - J
- Scheduled Reminders & Scheduling Emails - A:
- Using Scheduled Reminders to schedule email messages using traditional email templates (same information covered in the assigned screen cast) - Watch screen cast on sending email messages using scheduled reminders using traditional email templates
- Go to Administer menu > Communications > Schedule Reminders > then just start entering your message
- Note: there is an extension (Mosaico Message Template extension) that allows you to use your Mosaico templates and it converts it to traditional HTML email templates
- Fighting the spam vigilantes - J
- Understanding deliverability as a political issue
- Our strategy for getting email messages in the inbox
- Some tips for Powerbase users to improve their deliverability
- Introduce assignment: scheduled messages and "traditional" emails - J
- Create at least one scheduled reminder using a traditional email template in the training database OR
- Create and schedule at least one mass email using Mosaico in the training database.
Day 3: Putting it all together
12:00 pm Eastern Time
- Review Scheduled & Sent emails results from homework, answer questions - N
- Online email signups and handling email subscriptions [screen cast and tip sheet]
- All about SMS - J
- Demo: Use schedule emails and groups for Drip Emails or Drip Campaigns - Drip Campaign Concept slides by Yee Won Chong - A
- Don't forget "boring" ways to communicate: N
- Peer-to-Peer time - Breakout session: A
- Question: How do you combine all methods for an effective campaign? Describe your most recent communications campaign; write some workflows on the riseup pad
- Share riseup pad with participants for breakout sessions
- Report Backs from groups - A
- Evaluations - N
- Wrap-up and Final Questions - N