In this webinar session, we will provide a framework for how you can manage potential digital harassment and offer general guidance to help you prepare your organization appropriately—a.ka. risk assessment and harm reduction.
Please find below a list of many of the trainings that the Progressive Technology Project has conducted over the years. Each training contains links to materials used in the trainings.
Hosted by Progressive Technology Project and May First / People Link, December 12, 2016
In the 1960s, the government sponsored a massive surveillance, infiltration and disruption program called COINTELPRO (Counter Intelligence Program). It destroyed movements, relationships, and activists' lives. It destroyed the trust and hopefulness needed to build and sustain a movement. It destroyed the movement for justice in this country.
We haven't seen anything like it since then.
- Intros & Go Around:
- What other questions or concerns do you have related to Digital Security?
- Is there anything else missing from your digital security plan?
- Discuss questions
- Wrap Up & Evaluation
Welcome & Overview
- What tools are you using for sharing files and storing files?
- CIA: Confidentiality, Integrity, Accessibility
- Risk assessment: Who are you protecting your data from?
- Subpoena risks?
- Organizational culture
Options - common tools used for sharing files
What is good about these methods? What is bad about these methods?
Welcome & Introductions
- Go Around & Discussion: Each share the following:
- What database tool are you using?
- How are you and your organization using the database?
- What are the pros and cons of using your database?
Aspects of Database Security
- Knowing your providers
- Knowing your tech support
- Know your staff and volunteers
- Know your mission
How do these security aspects apply to the following types of Databases:
Do you know of anyone who has experienced these kinds of attacks?
- Welcome & Introduction to the Learning Table: 5 minutes
- Introduction to Assessment Workshop: 5 minutes (Alice) Each organization has written up a needs assessment. Our goal today is to pull those together into a movement/sector needs assessment to find the commonalities that will allow us to focus this series of workshops
- Discussion of participants' needs assessment: 30 minutes (choose one organization to present to start things off)
The following questions are intended to provoke discussion more than nail down concrete answers. Feel free to answer as loosely or specifically as you feel useful to your organizing needs.
Answer for each of the social media accounts you use regularly.
Do you post from an organizational account, from your organizers' individual work accounts, or from your organizer's personal accounts?