This page documents how to setup PowerBase to use the Twilio SMS service. See our SMS page for more information on SMS in general.
Sign up for a Twilio Account
Go to the Twilio website and sign up for an account. You can create a trial account and test, but you will need to upgrade your account in order to send SMS messages properly.
Configure SMS Provider Settings in CiviCRM.
- To reach the SMS provider settings page, navigate through the menus as follows: Administer » System Settings » SMS Providers
- Click on "Add New Provider" button.
- In the Manage SMS Provider Page, the providers that are enabled are available. If you don't see your provider, you may need to enable the twilio extension.
- Choose Twilio.
- Type some name for your SMS provider in the Title textbox. It can be anything.
- The Username is the AccountSid.
- The Password is your AUTH token.
- Select "http" for the API Type. The API Url is https://api.twilio.com/
- Under API Parameters, you need to put in the phone number Twilio provides for your account, like this: From=12345678901 You need to include the prefix 1 in the "From" phone number. Also, it is case sensitive, so please put in "From", not “FROM”.
Configure Twilio to send responses back to your database
- Log into your Twilio account
- Click on the menu item called "Phone Numbers" (it is represented with the symbol: #)
- Click on your phone number and you will have access to a bunch of settings.
- The Messaging setting allows you to put in a URL which will get called whenever someone replies to an SMS that you have sent out.
- Change "A message comes in" to display the option: Webhook
- Enter: https://SITE.ourpowerbase.net/civicrm/sms/callback?provider=org.civicrm.sms.twilio replacing SITE with your site