DKIM stands for Domain Keys Identified Mail. By digitally signing all out-going email, you declare that a message the claims to be from you really is, thus reducing the likelihood that your email will end up in the spam folder.
To use DKIM to digitally sign your PowerBase message you must create a DNS (Domain Name System) record and notify PowerBase so we can enable this feature for your site.
If you want help creating a DKIM DNS record, please notify support and we can help.
Following are general directions for creating a DKIM record. See below for specific directions if your provider is May First/People Link or Dreamhost or Network solutions.
To create the record you must be able to edit your DNS settings. How you do that depends on your hosting provider. Nearly all poviders (May First/People Link, Electric Embers, Dreamhost, etc) have a control panel where you can manage these settings. Typically, they will be in a section of the control panel called "DNS" or "Domain names."
You will need to create a new DNS record of the type: CNAME.
It should have two parts. The first part may be called the "name" or the "domain name" or the "fully qualified domain name." It should be set to either:
- pb1._domainkey OR
Use the longer form if your provider is May First/People Link and replace "YOURDOMAIN.ORG" with your actual domain, e.g. pb1._domainkey.progressivetech.org.
The second part is called either the "value" or "server name" and it should be:
Please replace "SUBDOMAIN" with the subdomain used by your PowerBase install. In other words, if you login to PowerBase with the address: https://ptp.ourpowerbase.net/, then your server name value would be:
Please note: the first part has an underscore before domainkey (pb1._domainkey) but the second part does not (pb1.domainkey).
Be sure to notify support after you have created this record.
May First/People Link
If your provider is May First/People Link, you can follow these directions:
- Visit the control panel at: https://members.mayfirst.org/cp
- Click the DNS option from the list of available services
- Click the Add a New Item button
- Fill in the values. Be sure to replace "progressivetech.org" with your domain and "ptp" with the inital part of your PoweBase web address.
If your provider is Dreamhost, you can follow these directions:
- Visit the control panel at: https://panel.dreamhost.com
- Click Domains -> Manage Domains
- Find your domain and click the DNS link
- Scroll down to "Add a custom DNS record" and fill in the values. Be sure to replace "ptp" with the inital part of your PoweBase web address. The full value would be: pb1.domainkey.YOURSUBDOMAIN.ourpowerbase.net with YOURSUBDOMAIN replaced with the initial part of your PowerBase web address.
Please see the Network Solutions directions - scroll to the "Host Aliases" section.
- Type a new alias: pb1._domainkey
- Choose "Other Host to alias another domain" option
- Enter: pb1.domainkey.YOURSITE.ourpowerbase.net (e.g. pb1.domainkey.ptp.ourpowerbase.net).