Powerbase has a peer to peer fundraising feature called Personal Campaign Pages or PCPs for short.
In Powerbase you can configure any event or contribution page to use PCPs - which means individual members of your organizations can create their own custom page inviting people to the event or to make a contribution.
All contributions made through a PCP are linked to the person who created the page via a "soft credit" to the contribution.
See below for the technical details or see our overview on peer-to-peer fundraising.
Setup the contribution or event page
- First, create a new contribution (pictured below) page or event page and enter the details you want regarding your contribution page or event page. You can read more about how to create a contribution page here
- Click on the Personal Campaign Pages tab and check the box to Enable Personal Campaign Pages
Configure the Personal Campaign Pages
- Approval Required (box is checked as default): so that you can review and approve personal campaign pages to make it live.
- Notify Email: email of person who will be creating their personal campaign page.
Supporter Profile: select the profile to be used to collect info about the person who is creating a personal campaign page. The profile called "Supporter Profile" will likely already be available on your system. If you create a new one, keep this in mind: the profile you use for personal campaign pages must have the "Account creation required" checkbox selected in the "Drupal user account registration option?" row in the Advanced Settings of the Profile Settings. Normally in other CiviCRM environments this would trigger creating a login for the person signing up, but a user account will not be created in PowerBase because we only allow that option for admins. However, due to the way CiviCRM works, this box must be checked.
Owner email notification: select the option on whether you want notifications of donations to the personal campaign page to be sent to the creator of that page
Allow "Tell a Friend" functionality?: if checked allows the create to use the Tell a Friend functionality for their personal campaign page
"Tell a Friend" maximum recipients (default is 5): how many recipients they can send to at one time
'Create Personal Campaign Page' link text:
- Enter text that will be used for a button on the main campaign page that allows anyone AFTER they donate to create their own personal campaign page If you don't want just ANYONE to create personal campaign pages, then leave this field blank, and copy and email the link that's displayed below this field to the folks want to create their own personal campaign pages. No button displayed on the main campaign page that will allow just anyone to create their own personal campaign pages.
- If you prefer to setup the personal campaign page for someone else, then just leave this field blank.
Setting up Pages
The easiest way create personal campaign pages is to have your supporters set up their own pages!
All you have to do is send them the link listed on the Personal Campaign Pages tab for creating new pages to everyone that you've recruited to do fundraising.
On the other hand, if you are setting up the pages on behalf of your fundraisers, this is what you do:
- Identify the people on your list who have log ins on your Powerbase (such as staff) and those that do not. You will need first name, last name and email address. If someone does not have an email address, you'll have to create a dummy one that you associate with their contact id. Make sure you do not send those accounts notifications of donations received.
- If the fundraiser has a login on your Powerbase (e.g. they are staff), ask them to set up their own page or use the option to "Masquerade" as them. (Masquerade is an optional setting that Powerbase support can add to your site). Go to step 3.
- If the fundraiser does NOT have a log in, go to a browser page that is not signed in to your Powerbase (either log out or open a second browser that is not logged in) and continue to step 2.
- Insert the 'Create Personal Campaign Page' link url into your browser. As shown above, you get this url from the bottom of the Personal Campaign Pages tab of your contribution page.
- Fill out the required fields. We suggest that you have ready at your standard language for each person so that you can paste it in and speed up the creation.
- Repeat PCP creation until done.
Review and approve
Once a page is created you will need to approve them before they go live. You can see the pages that are awaiting approval by going to
Contributions > Personal Campaign Pages. You can then Edit or Approve the personal campaign pages there.
Things to remember
If you try to create a PCP page and you get the error: "There is already an user associated with this email address" it means that you are creating a page for someone who has a login to your database. First, login as the user, then return to the page and you will be able to create it without an error.
Once a user creates a PCP page for themselves, they cannot change the page without the help of someone with a login. That's unfortunate, but necessary to keep your database secure.